Tuesday, September 28, 2004

Music News :-

Playing at Chicago Rock Cafe next Tuesday with full band (Alex G, Phil Jackson and Simon Larbalestier) PLUS I am really hoping to have Ali McGovern on guest vocals.

Also handed my CD to someone who works for a record label, who just happened to be over in Jersey for a wedding.

I sent about twenty CDs off to Eskimo Friend dwellers all over the world last week and it seems that they have arrived. By the way, I am not marketing to Alaska, Eskimo Friends is a Damien Rice Website. A few people have sent me emails to say they really like it, which is cool. Those who are silent I am taking it that they don't like it ;-)

I must chase up Channel TV, I still haven't got my studio session on VHS yet, I really want to watch that and put it up at my Website. Gah, TV celebs, they are so on the 'me program'!!!

Writing News:-

Sent some stories out to Andromeda Spaceways and The Third Alternative and just touched base with Trevor Denyer, who is the editor and driving force behind classic fiction mags LEGEND and ROADWORKS. Sadly these publications are no longer going but he is now running Midnight Street, which publishes horror, fantasy and sci fi fiction. The mag is named after the David Gray lyric in 'This year's love' which must be a sign!!! And no Pigeons hitting me on the back of the head!!! See earlier posts if you have no idea what I am talking about.

Other News:-

Tom Baxter ~ Feather and Stone is my recommended album of the month. It is fantastic, if you like singer/songwriter types, this is for you. His vocals are a cross between Jeff Buckley and David Gray and believe me when I say that the guy can sing. 'My Declaration', the opening track is a classic goosebump raising builder, as he switches from a falsetto chorus to simply belting it out in a groin straining key. I sang this tune last night at the Acoustic Music Club and nearly passed out!!! But I think the crew enjoyed it.

Talking of last night, a new talent on the open mic scene is Mike Painter (I think, I am going on my memory, which is a sure way to get things wrong). Mike played three original tunes and I really enjoyed them, nice lyrics and an original voice, very american, sort of a cross between Finley Quay (I know I spelled that wrong!!!) and Jack Johnson, excellent stuff. He is also a shy humble guy who has no idea just how good he is... Which is refreshing, I usually meet arrogant, nob heads who have no idea how shit they are!!! Only joking. Well done Mike, you were brilliant.

Abbie Huxley. Now, this guy is a blast from the past for me. I found his CD at Garageband because he was number one in the pop/rock charts for so long. A real Jeff Buckley-esque singer/songwriter with extraordinary vocal skills, not to mention a fine musician on numerous intruments. His EP P.O.P Red is astounding, especially 'Quicksilver' and 'Humble Pie'. Anyway, he turned up on my iPod the other day when I had a go at the Random setting, and I am a fan all over again. He has an amazing new Website at www.abbiehuxley.com and I urge you to check it out and download some of his tunes.

Well, that's enough ramblin' from me, take care ~ JT


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares