Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Reading...

I finished Gary Wassner's The Awakening a few days ago and recommend it to anyone who enjoys fantasy fiction.




This is book 2 of Gary's Gemquest series, book 1 being The Twins...

Gary writes about a fantastic world, filled with sentient trees called Lalas, who are dying much to the chagrin of the planet's humans, elves and assorted array of weird and wonderful creatures... but, much to the delight of the dark lord, Colton... who seeks dissolution and the destruction of the world and all who inhabit it.

Gary's vision is broad and the tale follows three main threads as they quest to defeat Colton and his hordes of goblins and ghoulies.

This is traditional epic fantasy, and not usually my cup-of-tea but Gary tilts his hat at the likes of Tolkien but adds enough original creativity of his own to make it very entertaining. Plus, he injects his philosophical outlook and manages to add real depth to his characters.

A highlight for me in the series, is Calyx, a Moulant. A Moulant is a giant cat creature that is intelligent, loyal and best of all... f'kin deadly in a fight!



China Mieville: Iron Council




Started on China's third book set in New Crobuzon... the first two being Perdido Street Station and the wonderful The Scar.

After Gary's almost poetic flair, China seems sharp and to the point... I think I like both styles equally although the contrast is clear going from one to the other.

I am enjoying the book already and it has only just started, I love Mieville's creatures the toadlike Voydanoi in particular and in this offering he introduces the mutated, giant cactacae creatures! Excellent!

I also picked up his first book, King Rat, but I will talk about that more when I start reading it.

Ottaker's has a pretty good graphic novel section too, so I picked up a couple; namely Slaine: Warrior's Dawn and The Sandman: The Wake... Great stuff.








0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares